Re: What hardware is good for Debian servers?

Enrico, I can give you some advise on the motherboard and such.
If your talking bang for your buck, go with an A-bit BP-6.  With dual
celeron 366's (PPGA) overclocked to 550 MHZ.  You can find your cpu's
on ebay or somewhere similar pre-tested and guaranteed overclockable.
Modem, I would go with a Us Robotics (which is now owned by 3com).

You should be able to find both CPU's pretest (this is key) and the
appropriate heatsinks for a total price of around:    $168 or less,
this price was one I received about a 5 weeks ago.  So figure around
$150 total.

The A-bit BP-6 you should be able to pick up for $132 or less.

I buy all my hardware from www.pricewatch.com, it is a listing of
hardware dealers all over the country, I have yet to find cheaper
prices anywhere on the internet or at a computer show.

I along with a few of my friends run debian on these systems pretty
similar to what you are looking to build.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me direct.

-joe