Re: Macromedia products for linux

> This is an email I recieved from macromedia after I asked them to
> support our OS. I think maybe if enough people show interest maybe
> we'll get flash for linux. Fire off and email to the address in the
> email please.

I think you should read the Linux Advocacy mini-HOWTO.

    http://www.datasync.com/~rogerspl/Advocacy-HOWTO.html

In the paragraph above, you are well-written seem very capable of a
reasoned plea, but your message to macromedia sounds like a childish
flame:

> > Look man, I am a BIG fan for the whole vestored graphice thing. I
> > think it rocks. Infact some of my favorite sites use vectored
> > graphics made with and for your products. What really irks me
> > though, is your lack of support for platforms other than that of
> > Billy's Garbage. I am a Linux user and as such get the shaft when
> > it comes to visiting sites made with Flash or whatever. I think it
> > sucks and I think it's pretty sad that you don't support us. Just
> > because we ar emainly an open source community doesn't mean we
> > wouldn't pay for your software. Granted there isn't as many of us
> > but sheesh, it's depressing that I'm cut off from alot of sites cuz
> > I use Linux.

For example, the HOWTO urges advocates to refer to another product by
it's proper name.  It's all fine-and-good on lists like this to talk
about WinBlows and such, but telling someone outside the community that
you don't like "Billy's Garbage" won't win you any converts.  Think of
it from *their* point-of-view: they've made millions writing software
that works on Windows, so it's not such garbage to them...

Read your message back to yourself, but change Linux to Windows, change
"Billy's Garbage" to "Open Source Crap" and change the product to
something not available in Windows. Think about how reading that would
make you feel.  Does it make you really want to work with this person
and improve your product, or does it just make you defensive about your
own product and even a little fearful of the sender?

Cliche-of-the-day time: "You can catch more flies with honey..."

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.