Re: error installing emacs?

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 10:46:06PM -0800, Alan Su wrote:
> i just did an update for my potato box, and the only error that didn't
> correct itself with several Install passes was emacs.  here's the
> error, as far as i can tell:
>
> install/dpkg-dev: Byte-compiling for emacs20
> cp: debian-changelog-mode.el: No such file or directory
> emacs-install: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/emacsen-common-install emacs20 failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 28.
> dpkg: error processing emacs20 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
>
> does anyone know what's going on?  any ideas on how to fix it?
> thanks!

The file debian-changelog-mode.el is located in a different directory than the
installscript expects. Do a 'locate filename' an move or copy the file to the
directory the installscripts looks in. On my machine it's:
/usr/share/dpkg/site-lisp/dpkg/debian-changelog-mode.el
/usr/share/emacs/20.3/site-lisp/dpkg-dev/debian-changelog-mode.elc

Good luck.
--
Sven Esbjerg
http://www.dina.dk/~joker