please help with info on stable to unstable upgrade (partitions,LILO etc)

I have a Debian stable system doing quite a lot of stuff
(DNS,SMTP,POP3,HTTP,Netscape roaming server, rsync mirror of Debian
unstable, lpr server, INN news server, FTP server etc etc).

Now I started adding quite a lot of packages from unstable but I am
starting to have a messed up situation.

I would like to install an unstable on the same machine keeping the
possibility of switching back to the "semi-stable" version if I run into
big problems to avoid long disservice to my users.

Now, could I use the unstable floppies to install the system on a
different root partition but share the same /var, /home, /tmp
filesystems ?? With which LILO syntax ??? BTW the packages if unstable
are already pn my current /home filesystem and I could hopefully install
from there ....

See below for the current partitioning and LILO setup.

Thank you very very much. Eagerly waiting for some good reassurance and
guidance I wish you all the best. Bob Alexander

My HDs are partitioned as follows:

Filesystem	1K-blo	Capac	mountpoint
/dev/sda1	 792800	40%	/
/dev/sda2	   7776	21%	/boot   <--- probably stupid since / is < 1024cyl
boundary
/dev/sda5	3958767	 0%	/proxy  <--- currently not used
/dev/sdb5	  31046	 0%	/tmp
/dev/sdb6	 295474	22%	/var
/dev/sdb7	8117851	31%	/home   <--- /home/debian has a mirror of Debian
unstable

I currently boot from LILO off /dev/sda and currently goes:
boot=/dev/sda
root=/dev/sda1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map