Snafu

I'm somewhere in the process of installing slink.  There was an interruption during installation, I rebooted, etc.  I guess I could wipe out the disk and start over, but I'd kind of like to understand where I am and why.

The system boots and reboots OK.  I've been playing around with bash commands.  Not all of the ones I read about on Web pages seem to be working.  Now I want to run dbootstrap to configure my base system.  But when I type dbootstrap at the $ prompt, I get "command not found."  I go to the root (or whatever you call /) and type "find dbootstrap," but that just gives me "no such file or directory."

Anybody know where I am and where I should be going?  Or is it time to use a blunt instrument on this installation?