Re: RAID trouble with SMP kernels

>>>>> "a" == aphro  <nate@firetrail.com> writes:
    a> ouch!!! dont ever ever ever ever ever ever (10000x ever) compile
    a> a kernel with gcc2.9x, you are asking for trouble there have
    a> always been issues with most compilers OTHER then gcc 2.7.2.3
    a> read the kernel mailing list (http://kt.linuxcare.com) there are
    a> a ton of issues in the kernel(not all of them problems with the
    a> compiler) that make for BIG problems when compiled with something
    a> other then 2.7.2.3
    a>
    a> in short, use gcc2.7.2.3 for the kernel, use whatever you want
    a> for everything else :)

Are you saying that SMP kernels should not be compiled with a gcc other
than version 2.7.2.3 ?

How about compiling a non-SMP kernel with gcc ver. > 2.7.2.3 ?

I posted a similar query about compiling a 2.2.10 kernel with gcc-2.95.2
on this list, and the unanimous response I got (both on the list and via
email) was to "go ahead and use gcc-2.95.2" without thinking twice about
it.

FWIW, I have been using a 2.2.13 kernel compiled with gcc-2.95.2 since
it first came out without any problems so far but then mine is a home
system not a production box that is up 24x7.

On a related note, has anyone tried compiling a pentium optimized kernel
(eg by using the pentium-builder package) ?

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com