Re: bad alternatives symlinks after potato upgrade

On 28/11/99 Dan Christensen wrote:

I just upgraded my mostly stock slink machine to potato with
"apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade".  Now I have both /usr/man
and /usr/share/man on my system, and neither is a symlink to the
other.  A quick glance showed no files in common between the
two directories, and they both contain around 7.5M.  "man foo"
works for foo's in either directory.  But the alternatives
system is messed up, with symlinks pointing to the wrong place.

you getting caught in the transition to FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) that defines that /usr/doc be moved to /usr/share/doc and /usr/man be moved to /usr/share/man

it sounds like you found a package or two with bugs not handling this transition properly, file a bug report.

An example is /etc/alternatives/editor.1.gz, which points to
/usr/man/man1/elvis.1.gz, which does not exist.  However,
/usr/share/man/man1/elvis.1.gz does exist.

What happened?  Would manually changing all the bad symlinks
in /etc/alternatives to point to the right place be the correct
fix?  Is there an automatic way to do this?

I am not aware of a automatic way to fix this but i could be wrong (I have not totally figured out this alternatives thing) it sounds like a bug in the package not fixing these symlinks.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/