Re: staroffice , potato , unrecoverable error

This is a longshot, but what kernel are you running?  I saw in the
linux-kernel mailing list a "bug" in staroffice that deals with the latest
kernels

See:

http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19991122_44.html#5

[from the site]
It was pointed out that the latest stable kernels break StarOffice (or
rather the Java tool StarOffice depended on).

Andrea pointed out that the problem was only with accessing the
nonexistant /proc file, not with sprintf(). He pointed out that
allowing the quirk in 2.2.x would make no difference to anyone but
StarOffice users.

So, you are free to upgrade your kernel source to the latest, patch it to
be Star Office compatible, and then go on having a happy
day. If Sun cares about fixing SO, then they will provide new binary
upgrades on their site.
[end excerpt]