Cant' find stdio.h????? Huh?

Hi,

I've been compiling kernels a lot lately without problems.

Then tonight I type "make xconfig" and get a bunch of errors
about not being able to find some pretty standard include
files like stdio.h, stdlib.h, string.h etc.

Confused, I do a "cd /" and then execute a find command
looking for the files. They are nowhere to be found. I then
do a "tar tvfz" on my kernel sources tar.gz file and grep
for stdio.h. Its not there either!

I am really confused. Where should all of the standard
C headers go and how can I get them back?

Thanks,

Brian