installation program can't find a hard drive

I'm doing my first Debian 2.1 install on a machine that successfully ran
RH6.0.  The machine has two hard drives which the bootup from the rescue
floppy correctly identifies as /dev/hda and /dev/hde.  However, the
installation program only presents /dev/hda for partitioning in its
menu.  Opening a console with ALT-F2 and invoking cfdisk manually also
finds only /dev/hda.  This is a problem (obviously) because I wanted to
put / on /dev/hde.  Since the installation program wants to do a swap
partition and / before going further, I'm stuck.

/dev/hda is on the motherboard's IDE controller.
/dev/hde is on a Promise Ultra DMA controller.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon Scott