Login and Password

Last year I loaded Debians on my box, but because of problems connecting to the internet to complete the installation and the upcoming planting season it has just been sitting there used. I returned to complete the installation,but I can not get into the system. It will not accept the login and password. They could be incorrect. Is there any way to get into the system to change the Login and password. this box is in my home, and there is a single user.
Woodrow