php4 isn't finding mysql routines

I've just finished installing PHP4 and PHP4-MySQL.  I added the module in
to apache...

  LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libphp4.so

And now php files seem to get executed correctly.  However, as soon as they
try to access a MySQL database, it appears the functions are not found:

  Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_pconnect() in ./mysql.php3
  on line 15

I can't find anything in the documentation about this.  The "php4-mysql"
package has a "mysql.so" library file in it, but zero documentation about
how to use it so I assume it should work out-of-the-box.

Is there something else I need to do?

	php4:		v4.0b3-1
	php4-mysql:	v4.0b3-1
	apache:		v1.3.9-10

(php3 is not installed, but there doesn't seem to be anything version specific)

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@precidia.com )

                    No man dies except he who has not lived.