Re: RIVA128 (nVidia) card works, but loses cursor in emacs ...

Jingsong Zhao wrote:

> I mail-ordered a XFree86-supported video card, yet I received a Jaton
> Video-68AGP card that uses RIVA128ZX chip. To my chagrin, I spent
> several hours figuring out that I have to download from nVidia a
> special XF86_SVGA and do some setups.

I have an ELSA VICTORY ERAZOR LT with RIVA128ZX and unfortunately didn't
know that I can download a special XF86_SVGA from nVidia. Instead I just
used the XFree 3.3.2.3a coming with Debian 2.1. It worked fine (no
problems with emacs cursor), but just in 8bit color mode...
When I tried to use 16bit or higher and something changed on the screen
(e.g. a moving window) often pixel errors / horizontal streaks occured
which was somewhat annoying.
I was _not_ able to find a solution to this problem! Changing the
BIOS/AGP settings, trying different options in XF86Config, nothing
worked. At last I wrote a mail to XFree86@Xfre86.org, but got no answer.
Finally I decided to give up and bought a new, better supported graphics
card... :-(

> First thing I want to try is to remove the hardware cursor feature,
> but I could not find a way to do that. Anyone with similar experience?

Shouldn't something like options "sw_cursor" in the "Device"-Section of
XF86Config do the trick?

Andy G. 8-)