Re: X server fatal error: can't find fixed font!

> I  upgraded my XFree to 3.35 from slink without having installed the
> slink one ( I had had to make a reinstallation because of a mistake
> while root). Any way, when I started startx after runnig the xf86config,
> it couldn't satrt any server, complained about fonts not found, asked to
> run mkfontdir, which I did. After that I tried again and the the
> complain was about "fixed font not found".

I had a similar problem after upgrading to potato, and it turned out that
the xfonts pacakges hadn't been installed correctly. Try veritying that
xfonts-base is correctly installed (dpkg --list reported that is *was*
intalled on on my system, but with no version number, but a dpkg --contents
on the archive showed that is was, in fact, not installed properly).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <scode@scode.webprovider.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to scode-getpgpkey@scode.webprovider.com