telnetd can't get ttys

I installed the new telnetd (v0.14-8) in an upgrade from Slink, but every
connection attempt failed until I modified /etc/inetd.conf to say "root.root"
instead of "telnetd.telnetd".

The user and group telnetd exist, and telnetd belongs to the utmp group.
Is there something else that needs to be set?  There doesn't seem to be
any mention of this in the telnetd manpage, nor is there any other
documentation.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@precidia.com )

               Friends are relatives that you make for yourself.