kdm hanging on return from console screen

Hi, I'm seeing a strange behavior on my computer. If I ctrl-alt-fX to
any of the console screens while in kdm I can move around among
console screens all I like, but if I try to go back to kdm it just sits
there on a login prompt and won't go back to any other screens... it
will respond to a ctrl-alt-del, however. I noticed this behavior also
when I had slackware on this computer a few weeks ago with
Xwindows. One of my friends said they thought it was my Number
Nine series 2 video card that was the culprit, but before I try and hunt
up another video card I thought I'd see if anyone could think of
anything else I should try first.
Alice M. Pinard
Casco Indemnity Company
alice@cascoind.com