Latest potato killed X: could not open default font 'fixed'

Help!  I just lost X overnight.

I'm getting that idiot fatal server error, "could not open default font
'fixed'", again.  My FontPath is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc and I did a
fresh mkfontdir in that directory.  Still no go.  I have both xfs and
xfstt running, and nothing.  What just happened?

I assume this has happened to others who upgraded to potato 1999-Nov-21.
Anyone got it fixed?

--
"I already have all the latest software."
     -- Laura Winslow, "Family Matters"

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/spamoff.htm
GnuPG Public Key:   http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0