Re: sshd from /etc/rc5.d

Thank you, I made that change as well. Coming from a FreeBSD background I am
quickly learning the idiosyncrasies between it and Linux. Again, thanks
guys...

>     I recently installed openssh onto a debian box and the documentation
> says that it is normally run from /etc/rc, it seems that /etc/rc5.d is the
> comparable place in Debian to run it from. However, I created the sym link
> to the sshd file located elsewhere in the /etc/rc5.d directory. I cannot
get
> sshd to start, I end up having to do it from the command line. Below is
what
> the sym link looks like.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           32 Nov 22 09:48 S99sshd ->
> /usr/local/openssh-1.2pre13/sshd
>
> Also, I can run the sym link as root manually and it starts up okay.

You have the right idea, but you seem to be getting the *BSD way confused
with the Linux way - Linux has the concept of runlevels, while *BSD
doesn't, among other things.

One of the reason's why you can't seem to get it to start at boot time is
that you're probably using the wrong rc?.d directory - the default
runlevel for Debian is 2, rather than 5 (ie should have used
/etc/rc2.d).

Also, symlinking sshd to /etc/rc5.d/S99sshd isn't quite the right thing to
do - it would be best if you make a shell wrapper in /etc/init.d (I've
included the one I use so that you have a starting point).

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein