Re: 2.2.13 resc disk?

I've done it.  But there's not enough disk space in the standard boot disk
to do it on one disk, thus you need to spplit the rescue disk into two.

Assuming you have the rescue images on your hard drive, here's what you
do:

0. Compile your kernel (see below)

1. mount the rescue image (you need loopback support) on, say,
/mnt/alt

2. move the initrd.img out of the image into somewhere else on your hd

3. copy your new vmlinuz-2.2.13 from /boot into /mnt/alt/linux

4. edit /mnt/alt/syslinux.cfg and change the 2nd line to something like:
APPEND vga=normal noinitrd load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 root=/dev/fd0

5. edit the /mnt/alt/debian.txt to say that it's a 2.2.13 kernel
(optional)

6. umount the rescue image

7. dd if=resc1440.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k		# boot disk (#1)

8. dd if=initrd.img of=/dev/fdo bs=1k		# root disk (#2)

Remember, for simplicity's sake, that everything you need on bootup should
be compiled into the kernel, not as a module.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, then e-mail back and I'll
try to be less terse.  Please tell me, roughly, how experienced/able you
are with these things, so I can give you the best help I can.

--
"I already have all the latest software."
     -- Laura Winslow, "Family Matters"

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/spamoff.htm
GnuPG Public Key:   http://DLitzPower.tripod.com/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0