Re: MCA

> Hi,
>
> I booted my newly installed potato on a 486 last week and noticed that
> it probed MCA bus. Does it mean that Linux supports the bus?

Yep.

> Since when?

Since about they 2.0.30 days, maybe earlier.  I remember installing
Slackware 3.0 (kernel 2.0.30) on a '386 with a MCA bus.

> Kernel 2.2?

That's the first version that 'officaially' supports MCA.

> Wow, this would be really neat.
>
> I hope so, because here in my workplace we have about 8 RS/6K/MCA
> machines that need new souls to make them alive.

That's also assuming that

1) The MCA code in Linux an work with the MCA hardware in the computers
2) The PPC port of Linux knows about MCA (it could very well be Intel
   only, as far a Linux is concerned)

It sound's like you need to ask the Linux MCA guys.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein