Lock file & Debs over NFS

I can't get access to my debs on my desktop over the network. This lock file
is getting in my way!

Okay my laptop hostname is debian (just installed) and my desktop is viper.
For some reason when I do apt-get dist-upgrade, a lock file is created and
it won't delete it and complete the command. Also, my archive cache
directory has been changed to /mnt/debs on both machines. It works fine on
my desktop, but the laptop which accesses the debs via nfs doesn't like it.
Any ideas?

debian:/mnt/debs# rm lock
debian:/mnt/debs# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  perl-base
39 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
E: Could not get lock /mnt/debs/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

debian:/mnt/debs# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
viper:/mnt/debs on /mnt/debs type nfs (rw,addr=10.0.0.1)
debian:/mnt/debs#

Export file on viper:
[root@viper]:/mnt# cat /etc/exports
# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
exported
#               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
/mnt/apt        debian(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/apt/archives       debian(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/debs       debian(rw,no_root_squash)
[root@viper]:/mnt#