Re: login script

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 02:05:56PM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> after fixing my keyboard settings with xkeycaps, it told me to modify my
> login script to contain a line like
> xmodemap~ ... etc
> Where is my login script? I already learned to vi a text file (from
> windows to unix-linux there is a lot to learn!!!), but first I need to
> find the script. Please help. Thanks

You have to create one. Create a file called .xsession in your $HOME
directory. Minimally, it will need to look similar to the following.

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap [your arguments here]
xterm &   # start with an xterm opened
exec fvwm # change this to your favorite windowmanager

Make this file executable: $ chmod +x $HOME/.xsession

Restart X. You may or may not need to make a symlink to ~/.xsession if
you are starting X from the command line rather than from xdm. I think,
debian has it setup so this isn't necessary, but if your script isn't
being executed, try: $ ln -s .xsession .xinitrc .

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |