Re: ipchains and REDIRECT

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 02:57:08AM +0000, Chris Schleifer wrote:
> I found the post linked to below on deja.com which explains it all.
> Basically REDIRECT is only for forwarding between ports on the _local_
> machine. You need ipmasqadm to forward to another machine.

Yes, this was it. Problem solved. Thanks a million!

My dummy defence is that I moved to 2.2 and switched to ipchains
September 11th, and the 2.2 section on port forwarding in the howto
didn't get in there until late October.

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! =)

Bottom line:  When converting your ipfwadm/ipportfw rules to ipchains,
even though the documentation suggests vaguely that ipchains does port
forwarding, it only does it on the firewall box itself.  To
portforward across the masqueraded network, you must compile in the
extra support in the kernel and use the ipmasqadm portfw program.

Thanks again!
-Jonathan

--
jjlupa@jamdata.net