NFS problems

I've been having this problem with my NFS server:

When I try to copy a large file off an NFS mounted partition, it gets to
3084288 bytes and then dies with:

odin@bolverk:[~]$ cp -r /cdimage/odin/* .
nfs: server loki not responding, still trying
nfs: task 808 can't get a request slot

This VT is now unusable and I can't read or write to the NFS mounted
partiton anymore.

/cdimage is mounted via NFS from loki like this:

/cdimage        bolverk(rw,no_root_squash)

This happens with either the knfs server running or the nfs-server package.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

TIA
-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams
himself your master."