Re: LILO and IDE primary slave drives

Warning >>Harsh and non-M$<< solution follows:

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, sdoerr wrote:
> >From what I can tell from the LILO documentation, LILO can't boot from
> the slave drive on the primary IDE controller.  Is this correct?

For my box, I have only been able to use LILO when the bootable
partition is entirely and completely below cylinder 1024; otherwise
there are no restrictions on LILO's use of hard drives. But, on older
PC's, you can only have one drive as slave for each ide channel
(scsi is different; it allows more). Two ide channels per PC, but I
hear this will change to 4 ide channels per PC for a total of eight
allowable ide drives ( I don't know when this is scheduled for release).

> I don't want to try the linear option because I may need to boot from a
> floppy in the future.  Specifying
>
> disk = /dev/hdb
>    bios = 0x81
>
> did not make the HD bootable.
>
> boot.b, vmlinuz, and everything else is properly located in /boot on
> hdb1
>
> my bios supports a D drive boot, and the LI error says it's geometry or
> you haven't written a new boot.b and I've tried both.
>
> Any input greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

If you have a atapi cd-rom, you may want to make this the last drive on
the box (mine is hdd). When I got a slightly newer old board, I got a
newer bios and no longer have to use linear option.

Go into bios and inspect each and every line of every page in bios,
setting everything to match your particular hardware. Warning ~If you
use any MS windows products on the same box, stop using this advice
immediately and get  your help from someone else.~ (I have a 10 gig on
hda with debian slink and turbolinux workstation 4.0, a 10 gig on hdb
with suse, and a 1.2 gig on hdc with VA-RedHat.) So, now your bios
matches your hardware. Before leaving bios set the disk size
measurements scheme to normal (not large and, also, not LBA).

If you didn't already have the normal mode selected for any of your
hard drives, your box should now be completely hosed.

This would, if you can stand it, be the desired state.

You should then reinstall each distribution. This method
is of course very harsh. If you do it, you will most likely not ever
have this kind of problem again.

--
Jeff French, frenche@telalink.net
         This is a link to Eric S. Raymond's