Re: secure pop3 via ssh

Hi Mario,

The server should accept ssh and you should be able to connect to this
machine using ssh without having to supply your password (using a
.shosts or .rhosts file of instance).  It should also accept pop-3
of course.  ;-)

A extended example, based on a example in fetchmail(1):

  poll mailhost.net via localhost port 1234 with proto pop3:
      preconnect "ssh -f -L 1234:mailhost.net:110 mailhost.net sleep 20 </dev/null >/dev/null";
      user	myaccount
      password	topsecret
      smtphost	localhost

Using this example, fetchmail launches the ssh command before it will
poll the pop3 account by connecting to localhost:1234.  The ssh client
forks to the background and listens on port 1234 and forwards all its
connections to mailhost.net:110.  Et voilá, a secure pop..

Note port 110 is the pop-3 service and 1234 can be any unused 1024+
port number.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Remco

--
confidential UCK kibo FBI Beatrix KKK anthrax KGB splif CD detonator Patijn
Nazi abuse technology sigar inkijk RSA grenade MDMA Cocaine MI5 NORAD PSUC