Token ring error messages

I have compiled the 2.2.10 kernel for Token Rings with use of the Tropic module. I have an IBM ISA Token Ring card. However, the boot-up process freezes partway through the Token Ring phase.

During boot-up, I can see messages like the Token Ring's hardware address, and something about "16MBps."

But after that, I get a screen filled with "garbage." What's listed are things like: Process swapper, Stack, Call Trace, Code, and at the bottom is a flashing "NMI IOCK error (debug interrupt?)."

Any ideas? I also have Plug and Play enabled in the kernel. Ideally, I'd like to get this working and then hook-up via a DHCP server.

Thanks.