NIS question: ypserver=localhost in yp.conf on slave NIS?

Hi there,

I've a question regarding the use of NIS under Debian.

In my LAN I have two NIS servers, a master and a slave.

I followed the small NIS HOWTO that comes with the NIS package very closely.
However I have a little problem that I seem to have solved by executing a
step that is NOT contained in the howto.

Ok, here's my problem and how I solved it:

Whenever my master server was unreachable the slave server couldn't read the
passwd map. So I entered "ypserver localhost" in /etc/yp.conf, et voila,
things worked again.

Is this The Right Thing(TM) to do? Or why didn't the library functions on
the slave server machine automatically use the slave NIS instead of the
master NIS server after the disappearance of the master server was detected?

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\