diff caches stuff in memory?

Hi,

apparently diff caches stuff in memory.

I noticed that when I wanted to make a patch with

   diff -urN clean_dir patched_dir > my_patch

The patch came out fine, but then I realized that clean_dir wasn´t
really clean, so I made a new clean version *with the same* directory
name.

The second time I ran diff it went really fast. Too fast: it didn´t
examine the files in clean_dir at all, it just used the data from
the previous run which it had cached, so my patch was the same as
before (wrong).

How can I get diff to forget what it saw? The manpage doesn´t tell
me. (I didn´t think about `touch'ing the directory then, but I
untarred clean_dir from a tarball, so it should have gotten a newer
time stamp).

TIA,
  Colin