Re: Printing Problems

Well, a couple of things could be going wrong.

for starters, if you did steps 1 & 2 by hand, then rebooted, your hand
made changes may be lost... this is highly likely if it didn't work
initially on boot.

what id recommend doing instead of rebooting.. is this:
0. cold boot the computer (this step is optional ;>
1. stop the lpd service (/etc/init.d/lprng stop)
2. ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
3. route add -host 127.0.0.1 lo
4. start the lpd service (/etc/init.d/lprng start)
5. lpr test.txt

if step 5 doesnt work, try:
6. telnet 127.0.0.1 printer
(or whatever entry is in /etc/services for printing, i forget the specific
name)

also, make sure that you have an entry somewhat similar to this in the
/etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
or just
127.0.0.1 localhost

finally, an outside shot would be to look in /etc/hosts.deny and see if
there are any lpd entries.(this is probably not your problem, but i
thought id throw it out)

have you checked in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages, or /var/log/lp*,
etc. system log files to see if there is an error with your printcap or
lprng config files?(Maybe others on the list have already addressed some
of these topics?)

I hope this helps you,
Josh