Re: Latest Acct package broken?

On 16/11/99 Todd Suess wrote:

I just did my nightly apt-get dist-upgrade, and it downloaded about 26
packages, one of which was acct 6.3.5-16. After downloading all the packages,
apt went right into configuring packages.  and it stopped.  and sat.  and sat.
I let it sit about a half hour with no hard drive activity, before I killed it.
I went to /var/cache/apt/archives and manually did dpkg -i * and installed
all the packages.  They all installed except acct, which did the exact same
thing as with apt.   I purged acct completely, and tried apt-get install acct.
Same thing.  I finally killed it again, and am currently running with
accounting functions.  Anyone else run into this?

yup sure did, i tried to figure out what is going wrong but really did not find the problem, i suspect its something to do with debconf and/or perl.

I can tell you its definitely getting stuck in the postinst script.

I just manually performed the steps in the post install script and changed it to execute /bin/true :-) (i put the original one back after dpkg/apt were satisfied with the install) a quick look around and everything appears to be in order... probably not a good idea but i'm adventurous.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/