Re: Auto blanking of xscreensaver

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Clyde Wilson wrote:

> I have xscreensaver and xlock installed on Slink.  When I lock my
> screen, everything works fine for about 10 minutes and then my display
> goes blank. Is there any way I could keep the screensaver running
> longer without the blanking?

Although I have installed both xlock and xscreensaver, I use xscreensaver
all the time. This never blanks out. I put the following two lines in my
$HOME/.xsession

# Start an Xscreensaver process.
xscreensaver &

and copied the lines

!!! XScreensaver programs
xscreensaver.programs:  \
                qix -root -solid -delay 0 -segments 100         \n\
                attraction -root -mode balls                            \n\
                attraction -root -mode lines -points 3 -segments 200    \n\
                attraction -root -mode splines -segments 300            \n\

(more such lines snipped off)

from /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver into my $HOME/.Xresources. Now
whenever I start an X session, an xscreensaver process is started. If the
mouse and keyboard are idle for ten minutes (timeout period), then
xscreensaver runs a graphic demo chosen randomly. This graphics hack
changes every ten minutes (cycle period). The timeout and cycle periods
can be configured, see the xscreensaver manpage.

To lock the display, I type "xscreensaver -lock" into an xterm, and to get
a screensaver without locking I do "xscreensaver -activate". The screen
never blanks out. The newer versions of the the program (mine is the one
packaged with Hamm) seem to be even better.

Cheers,
Raghavendra.

N. Raghavendra, Mehta Research Institute, Chhatnag Road, Jhusi,
Allahabad 211 019, India.
Fax: 91-532-667576; Phone: 667511*2020 (O) 667511*4020 (H)