Locale C not supported?

Hello,

I am using the Xi Graphics X server (latest) with
Debian 2.1.  All was happy till I attempted to run
netscape.  This is the error:

netscape: locale 'C' not supported.
     Perhaps the $XNLSPATH env var is not set
correctly?

This happens to be in XiG's FAQ....says to symbolic
link the C locale file in:
/usr/X11R6/share/locale/C
with ln -s XLC_LOCALE "XLC_LOCALE:"
in that directory.  I did. No joy.
I called their support and they said they never heard
of that fix not working (I interpret that as it works
with Redhat ;-)

My questions: Is this a debian thing or an XiG thing?
Any ideas on how to fix it? Will the same thing happen
if I use Xfree? (XiG had better support for my
monitor).

Thanks very much for any suggestions,
Robert

=====