SOLVED?: Re: ppp problem with 2.2.X kernel; ok with 2.0.36

I had limited success improving the ppp performance (stalling after a very short
transfer) by removing the call to bsd_comp.o in
/lib/modules/2.2.13/net/modules.dep, so I tried the implied suggestion below:
another ISP which, hopefully, didn't use Ascend routers using the "lame ...
STAC/MS-STAC/LZ-anything compression". I was using Concentric. Got a new
account, and voila! It works great (so far). Will have to try for a few days
before I decide it's fixed.

Is it true that there is some incompatibility between the new ppp modules and
these compression methods?

Michael Heyes

>Re: Resolved: Poor PPP performance in 2.2.x

>Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
>Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:59:06 +0100

>On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 04:43:08PM -0600, Stephen Foskett wrote:
>> Why were so few people seeing the problem? Perhaps my ISP (Concentric.net)
>> uses this compression module and many others don't. Perhaps many others
>> have disabled this module. Perhaps it's something about the system yet...

>Many ISP use Ascend dial-in routers which support only the lame ('coz
>proprietary) STAC/MS-STAC/LZ-anything compression which Linux-ppp does
>not support, while the Ascend cannot be fitted with PPP-Deflate or
BSD-Compress either. :-(

--
Matthias Andree

Robert Varga <robi@piros.zold.net> on 11/09/99 02:09:43 PM