losing mail?

Hi,

I'm using mutt/exim/fetchmail and have been quite happy with it . . . until
now.  I'm pretty sure I lost 56 pieces of mail this morning.

I've always been intrigued with the interaction between the 3 above tools.
Basically, I:
- connect to the internet,
- run fetchmail
- exim delivers me 10 pieces (yes, I know I can change that...)
- I start mutt and read those 10 pieces
- in a few minutes exim delivers the rest of the mail (if you read this list
  I'm sure you have plenty of mail in the morning too ;-)

Now for the interesting part.  I've got mutt running, and when I go to exit mutt,
it usually shows me the rest of the mail.  It seemed to work like it worked
reliably.

I have a cron job which runs every morning.  Basically it runs pon, fetches
mail and news, and disconnects.  Normally I don't have mutt running at that
time, but last night I went to bed with mutt running.  I got a note which is
generated from the cron saying fetchmail received 56 pieces of mail, but the
mail was no where to be found.  I guess when I exited mutt it overwrote the
new mail in /var/spool/mail/joe, but why doesn't it do that all the time?

I think this happened to me once before.  I guess the best thing to do is to
make sure I exit mutt, but I wish there were a more bullet proof solution.

Am I missing something?

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard