Window Maker/WPrefs and NFS on potato

I'm having a problem that seems to be related to NFS on potato.  Here's
the setup:
/home is mounted via NFS.  When I run WPrefs, the configuration tool
included with Window Maker, I get the following error:
"Could not open Window Maker domain
(/home/frodo/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker) from defaults database."  The
WindowMaker configuration file is never opened, and I'm not able to change
or save it.

I have tracked this down to the following code from libPropList from the
function PLGetProplistWithPath:

  flk.l_type = F_RDLCK;
  flk.l_start = 0;
  flk.l_whence = SEEK_SET;
  flk.l_len = 0;
  if (fcntl(fd, F_SETLK, &flk)<0)
    {
      if (errno != ENOLCK)
    	{
    	  close(fd);
    	  free(actual_filename);
    	  return NULL;
    	}
      got_lock = 0;
    } else
      got_lock = 1;

errno is being set to EACCES after the fcntl call.  According to errno.h,
that's a Permission Denied error.  There should be no permission
problems.  I have no problems writing to the file in question by
hand.  Using GDB I changed errno to 37, ENOLCK before the second if(), and
everything worked fine.  The file was open, I could change it in
WPrefs, and I was able to save it.  So, it would seem that this is a
problem with the errno value that is set from fcntl when it tries to
create a lock on an NFS mounted file.  Can anybody more knowledgeable
confirm this or give me any suggestions?  What should I do from here?  Is
it a glibc2.1 problem, or something else?  The problem did not exist on
slink.

TIA!
noah

  PGP Public Key available at http://www.morgul.net/~frodo/mail.html