apt-get, now what?

I just tried to upgrade via apt-get, and while it did download the
files, it didn't install them.  A first `apt-get install' attempt gave
me the following:

Checking system integrity...ok
Sorry, qt1g is already the newest version
Sorry, giftrans is already the newest version
Sorry, gimp-data-extras is already the newest version
  zlib1g-dev libjpeg62-dev libpng2-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libungif-bin wcsmbs-locale-ja libstdc++2.9-dev kterm libwcsmbs giflib3g
  timezones gimp checker
  freefont libgtk1.2 libglib1.2 gimp1.1 sharefont libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1
  libgimp1.1.10 libstdc++2.10 gimp1.1-nonfree giflib-bin
  libstdc++2.10-dev
  gconv-modules
25 packages upgraded, 12 newly installed, 8 to remove and 497 not
  upgraded.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they
have unmet dependencies:
  giflib-bin: Depends:giflib3g Depends:giflib3g

After removing my request for the packages giflib-bin, giflib3g, ..., I
got the following:

h0rus:/usr# apt-get install apt bash binutils cpp g++ gcc gconv-modules
glibc-doc ldso libc6-dev libc6 libglib1.2 libncurses4-dev libncurses4
libreadlineg2 libstdc++2.10-dev libstdc++2.10 libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1
libstdc++2.9 locales xlib6g aalib1 freefont giflib3g gimp1.1-nonfree gimp1.1
libgimp1.1.10 libgtk1.2 libjpeg62 libpng2 libtiff3g libungif3g sharefont
zlib1g
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok
  libungif-bin zlib1g-dev libjpeg62-dev libpng2-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  wcsmbs-locale-ja libstdc++2.9-dev kterm libwcsmbs giflib3g timezones gimp
  checker
  freefont libgtk1.2 libglib1.2 gimp1.1 sharefont libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1
  libgimp1.1.10 libstdc++2.10 gimp1.1-nonfree libstdc++2.10-dev
  gconv-modules
26 packages upgraded, 11 newly installed, 7 to remove and 497 not
  upgraded.
Need to get 25.5M of archives. After unpacking 224k will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Fine, but during the download process I had a few problems:

Error http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main apt
 Error reading from server Remote end closed connection

Error http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main libncurses4
 Error reading from server Remote end closed connection

Error http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main g++
 Error reading from server Remote end closed connection

Error http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main libncurses4-dev
 Error reading from server Remote end closed connection

Error http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main glibc-doc
 Connection timed out

Error http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main gimp1.1
 Connection timed out

Which finally ended up with:

Fetched 16.0M in 1h30m34s (2940b/s)
ERROR
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base/apt_0.3.14.deb
  Incorrect MD5Sum
ERROR
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/base/libncurses4_4.2-3.4.deb
  Incorrect MD5Sum
ERROR
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/devel/g++_2.95.2-3.deb
  Incorrect MD5Sum
ERROR
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/devel/libncurses4-dev_4.2-3.4.deb
  Incorrect MD5Sum
ERROR
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/doc/glibc-doc_2.1.2-10.deb
  Incorrect MD5Sum
ERROR
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/graphics/gimp1.1_1.1.10-1.deb
  Incorrect MD5Sum

So, nothing was installed, though the packages are in:

 /var/cache/apt/archives/

and then some (partially?) downloaded packages in:

/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/

What's next?  if I now run `apt-get install -d' for finishing
downloading the (supposedly) partially downloaded packages, how do I get
to install everything once I've got them all?

TIA

--
Horacio					Anno MMDCCLII ad Urbe condita
mailto:homega@ciberia.es