Re: Debian vs Red Hat for updates

"Keith G. Murphy" wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >
> > Howard Mann wrote:
> > >
> [cut]
> > > When I installed Python 1.5, a number of existent
> > > apps broke that required Python 1.4 and associated
> > > apps like "TLinker."
> > >
> > > This is obviously very frustrating. Is the upgrade
> > > process in Debian - using apt-get I presume -
> > > generally easier ?
> > >
> [cut]
> >
> [cut]
> >         The situation with python is handled as well.  An attempt by you to
> > upgrade python from 1.4 to 1.5, would trigger an error.  In dselect, a
> > screen would pop up and tell you what packages still depend on py 1.4
> > (a dependency against "1.4 and above" would be ok), and would warn you
> > to upgrade now would likely break these packages.
> >
> Shouldn't rpm have refused the python upgrade as well?  I'm pretty sure
> it understands dependencies and versions.

	Don't know anything about RPM.

> Perhaps this just confirms what I've noted before: the debs are
> generally of better quality than the rpms.  Maybe having an experienced
> Debian maintainer for each package helps a lot.

	I'd imagine not all of them are "experienced" (depending on how you
use the word), although the major Debian people clearly are.  I'd say
they do tend to be more dedicated since being a Debian maintainer is a
bit more work than someone packaging something as an RPM.  However,
the most important thing, I think, is the fact the distribution is
kept together at ftp.debian.org.  Conflicts between packages and
broken packages are found very quickly by those folks who update
against the unstable branch.