Re: Slink + some Potato = What?

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 11:04:11PM -0600, David J. Kanter was heard to state:
> I have Slink, but have spent some time over the last few days updating
> essentially all the required base and standard packages from Potato. So,
> when I look at packages "for Slink" or "for Potato," which one am I supposed
> to choose? For instance, the October Gnome. Should I avoid the Slink version?

This is exactly what I have done. I pointed apt at the unstable branch,
downloaded glibc2.1, and then have downloaded additional things from
there. Not everything works perfectly every time - I haven't got gdm
working since I installed it earlier today, but generally most things
work fine.

I'm working on a slow migration path to potato, so I'm slowly upgrading
stuff to potato as I want it. Unless you plan on re-installing from
scratch again once potato become stable, I'd recomend sticking to potato
and hoping that nothing breaks (too badly). It also has the advantage
that you get to update stuff as the maintainer updates them. I doubt
they will be doing much to October Gnome for slink (seeing it's now
November!), but the Gnome stuff in Potato does seem to be updated
occasionally, with new stuff added frequently.

Of course, this is all IMHO, but it's what I'm doing.

Cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony