Re: Remote printing

hi bon

Asumming your printer is hooked up to WinNT  parallel port /dev/lp0 ( LPT1 )

/etc/printcap
   lp0|hp5si|HP LaserJet 5si:\
        :lp=:\
        :rp=lp0:\
        :rm=hp5si.your_domain.com:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/log:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

filtering (:if:..) locally for a remote printer ( :rm:... ) does not do anything...
( do it on the command line )

linux# kill -HUP `pidof lpd`
linux# ping hp5si
linux# lpr -Plp0 /etc/printcap
linux# cat /etc/printcap | stair_step_filter | lpr -Plp0
linux# /usr/bin/nenscript -p- /etc/printcap | lpr -Plp0
linux# lpr -Pcolor_printer /usr/local/share/ghostscript/5.10/examples/tiger.ps

linux# lpc status	- should list your printers
linux# lpq -Plp0
linux# lprm -Plp0 <job_id>

- your filters should take care of stairstepping between linux and WinNT
- watch out for files/directories not owned by lp when it is needed to be...

have fun
alvin