Re: exim problem with local usernames vs. ISP-mail name

> I have a problem confuguring exim.
> When I write mails that are delivered over my ISP, they have
> my local username and local hostname as return-path, reply
> and s an.

[snip]

> Has anyone an example how to do this ? I think this is nothing
> unusual - but I am quit new to exim an the rest worked fine.

I put this at the end of my /etc/exim.conf file:

==
*@sundance.eth    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                                        {$value}fail} bcfrF
==

(the second line begins with tab characters, although that may not be
important)

Now I create the file /etc/email-addresses which contains

==
dave	dsb3@earthlink.net
user1	ISPemailaddr
user2	etcetc
==
(tabs between the two columns, again, don't know if that's crucial)

DON'T FORGET TO RESTART EXIM.

This works for my exim3 (potato) but if you check the slink version there
is the same code at the end commented out.

Alternatively, you can hack your mail client into sending a different mail
name if it sends mail by SMTP (pine and netscape are two examples which'll
let you do this)

-Dave

--
   |     oOOooO           /