null-modem PPP connection from Windows

Peter S Galbraith writes:
 > A friend want to connect his Debian laptop and a Windows box
 > through a null-modem cable;  we thought a PPP link would be most
 > flexible in terms of usability (http, ftp, telnet, etc).
 >
 > He uncommented the `getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt100' line in
 > /etc/inittab and added the serail port to /etc/securetty.
 > In the Windows log files, he can see that the "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1"
 > login prompt appear.

Don't start a getty instead start pppd from init or a shell script in /etc/init.d/. See the manuals.

 > The question is now to get pppd started automatically instead of
 > a shell login.  Is that done using the `-l login_program' getty
 > option?
 >
 > Any hints out there?
 > Thanks
 > --
 > Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
 >     6623'rd GNU/Linux user at the Counter - http://counter.li.org/

Just curious, how do you set up the Winbug side of the ppp connection
??

It alway think of a modem involved.

Felipe Alvarez Harnecker.  QlSoftware.

Tel. 09.874.60.17  e-mail: felipe.alvarez@qlsoft.cl