Re: emacs and word processing

* Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net> writes:

> Recently, I started using XEmacs to edit LaTeX files. The LaTeX mode

Does the modeline say "LaTeX-Mode", or just "latex-mode"? If the
latter, add the following to your ~/.emacs:

;;*=======================
;;* Initialise aucTeX
(require 'tex-site)

and discover AucTeX.

> (1) ...actually not an emacs issue, but anyway: spell checking with
> ispell under emacs works (sort of), but ispell doesn't recognize 8-bit
> characters. Same problem with running ispell from the command line,

German user?
   M-x customize-variable RET ispell-local-dictionary RET
then give "deutsch8" as dictionary.

If that doesn´t do enough, use
   M-x customize-variable RET ispell-extra-args RET
with the options "-C" "-t" "-T" "latin1" "-d" "deutsch" (+man ispell).

Or, just for latex-mode:
  (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook
   (function (lambda ()
    (setq ispell-extra-args '("-t -C -x -S"))
  )))

(It might be necessary to duplicate this for LaTeX-mode-hook (case
matters!).

> (2) Emacs' flyspell-mode has support for English, but I need spell
> checking for English, German, and French. Is this a built-in facility
> or is it accomplished by ispell as well? And how do I get additional

ispell issue. Set the correct dictionary.

That may also be of help:

  ;; Note: consider setting the variable ispell-parser to 'tex to
  ;; avoid TeX command checking (use (setq ispell-parser 'tex)')
  ;; _before_ entering flyspell.
  (setq ispell-parser 'tex)

> (3) What about spell checking with multilingual texts, e.g. a German
> text with quotes in English, French, and Latin? Do I have to do this
> paragraph by paragraph?

Yes, I fear. You might be able to hack something that examines the
\selectlanguage commands, but that would be quite complicated (at
least for me).

> (4) I turned on auto-fill-mode and filladapt-mode. Frankly, I have no
> idea what that really means, but while typing new text word-wrapping
> works the way I want it now. I guess auto-fill is what I was looking
> for in the first place, what does fill-adapt do, anyway? ;) (Don't

See how I qouted you above? With filladapt I could "word-wrap"
(Emacs language: "fill") this text, and still keep the "> " signs in
place. Like that:

> (4) I turned on auto-fill-mode and filladapt-mode. Frankly, I
>     have no idea what that really means, but while typing new
>     text word-wrapping works the way I want it now. I guess
>     auto-fill is what I was looking for in the first place,
>     what does fill-adapt do, anyway? ;) (Don't

(Your case is a complicated one, as it wants to have your "(4)" like
the way it looks now :-)

> (5) Is there some documentation on the X resources used by XEmacs for
> Joe XEmacs user? The sample Emacs.ad and .xdefaults files are not very

Try editres.