emacs

Dear Philip:

I use GNU emacs rather than Xemacs, so I hope my answers won't be
misleading. I don't think they will ....

|> Emacs' flyspell-mode has support for English, but I need spell
|> checking for English, German, and French. Is this a built-in
|> facility or is it accomplished by ispell as well? And how do I get
|> additional language support? I'm not sure if that matters, but I'm
|> using the mule binary.

I believe that this facility depends on the ispell-program, doesn't
it?  In which case, you would need to install the relevant
dictionaries. The French dictionary is in the ifrench package, German
is in igerman, spanish in ispanish and so on. There are at least
Italian, Danish,  Swedish available. All of these are debian
packages, so you can use apt or dpkg to install them. I don't think
that there is a Latin dictionary available.

To change from one dictionary to another inside emacs:

   ispell-change-dictionary

You can define the default dictionary in /usr/lib/ispell/default

I don't know that you can use two dictionaries at once.

|> I turned on auto-fill-mode and filladapt-mode. Frankly, I have no
|> idea what that really means, but while typing new text
|> word-wrapping works the way I want it now. I guess auto-fill is
|> what I was looking for in the first place, what does fill-adapt do,
|> anyway? ;)

I believe that this is what lets you do what I just did to the quoted
text above---fill the paragraph and maintain the citation-mark. Or if
you have indented and numbered paragraphs, it will also be intelligent
about filling them.

|>         (Don't flame me for that, these docs are killing me.)
|> However, when adding a word to a paragraph or deleting some words I
|> miss a convenient way to re-justify the whole paragraph, something
|> like hitting ^J in Pico.

Meta-q. Which is bound to `fill-paragraph': Fill paragraph at or after
point.   Prefix  arg means  justify  as  well.  That is,  Ctl-u  ESC-q
produces a paragraph which looks like this one.

Jim