Re: Obscure Hardware

Andrew Clark wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone out there knows where I could get a pH probe
> with serial output and a water hardness probe with serial output.

(Note: I am not an expert on such matters.  The information below I
obtained from my father, as he does water analysis - among other things -
for a living.)

For a pH meter, try Fisher Scientific (a huge retailer), Hach (they make
meters), or Pitsco (not too sure of that spelling).  Most of the lab grade
pH meters are coming with a computer interface - most of which are RS232.

For a water hardness meter - no such thing.  One way to emulate one is to
find out what the chemistry of your water is and then you can calibrate a
conductivity meter to show hardness, but that will only be accurate as
long as the basic chemistry of the water stays fairly consistent.  The
only way to get a truly accurate reading of water hardness is to have the
water sampled and analyzed.

What are you wanting to do with these?  If you could be more specific I
can probably get more specific with answers.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"