Re: IP Aliasing on slink/2.2.12

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Damon Muller wrote:

> There are no firewall rules, IPChains rules, or anything unusual like
> that running on the box.

It might be the ip spoofing that debian sets up with rp_filter. It causes
more problems than it solves.  If you are running a recent potato, try
editing /etc/init.d/networking and look for something like:

case "$1" in
    start)
        spoofprotect
        ifup -a
        ;;

Now comment out the line that says spoofprotect like so:

case "$1" in
    start)
#       spoofprotect
        ifup -a
        ;;

Now add manual ipfwadm or ipchains rules to do any spoof protection you
might need (do not allow packets to arrive on an external interface that
claim a source address of an internal address). Sometimes debian is too
clever by half. In this case, the blanket rp_filter stuff breaks a good
number of configurations.

If that does not fix the problem, try using the new iproute package with
its ip tools to set up the alias instead of using ifconfig. You can do
something like this:

ip addr add <ip-address>/<CIDR-mask> dev <interface>

EXAMPLE: ip addr add 192.168.1.1/24 dev eth0

You can check that it exists with:

ip addr list

If it complains about not being able to talk to the kernel, you likely
need dev netlink support compiled in ... check the networking options of
the kernel config.

The tools found in the iproute package are replacing the old net tools but
their documentation is ... uhm ..... sparse.