updating of CMOS clock

Whenever I reboot/shutdown my debian system, one of the message I see on
the console during shutdown is :

  CMOS clock updated to Sat Nov  6 14:25:38 EST 1999

This alongwith the fact that APM support (which I have compiled into my
2.2.13 kernel) seems to reset the time on every reboot is likely the
reason why my clock seems to be losing time gradually and every couple
of weeks totally loses it!!!

I checked my RedHat5.2 installation for this CMOS clock updating on
reboot/shutdown and RH5.2 is not doing this. Prior to using Debian-2.1,
I had been using RH-5.2 with APM support compiled into 2.2.10 and I
never had any problems with my clock losing time. Only after switching
to 2.2.10 (with APM support) on Debian-2.1 did I notice this constant
and consistent problem with my CMOS clock.

My questions are:

(1) is it possible to configure Debian so that it DOESN'T update the
CMOS clock whenever the system is shutdown/rebooted ?

(2) are there any tools for Debian similar to timetool and timeconfig on
RedHat which allow the setting of system time from a GUI and ncurses
interface respectively ?

(3) How do I change my system's configuration so that the CMOS clock
stores time in GMT ? This is supposed to be a better way to store time
in the CMOS clock but I can't seem to find the option in my system's
BIOS. (FYI, I am using an ABIT BH6 MB).

A number of people on this list have already recommended the use of
packages like ntpdate, xntp, etc. but I would first prefer to solve this
problem by having Debian not update my CMOS clock on every
reboot/shutdown. After that, I will look into setting up xntp, etc. to
sync time/date whenever I dial out to my ISP.

My system is a slink/potato salad.

Thanks for any help.

--
Salman Ahmed