Re: quicktime4 player for linux?

> don't hold your breath, apple has such a tight rope around their codecs
> nobody but them can play most of the qt files.  not even 3rd party windows
> programs for the most part. and i havent seen anything that showed them
> willing to license the stuff to anyone for a reasonable price.

I know, it sucks - I couldn't even watch the second Star Wars trailer on
my computer - I had to use my parent's (which run Win95).

> same goes for AVIs, intel has a pretty tight grip on them and none of
> the newer Indeo formats work with xanim(i think indeo 3 is the newest
> it can do)

It sounds like you need to upgrade you XAnim.  I can very happily play
Indeo 5 .AVIs under Linx with the latest XAnim.  Note that I'm a known
bigot for compiling stuff by hand - there are no known (to me, at least)
Debian slink packages for the latest XAnim.

> wish someone would come out with a player (YES! ID PAY FOR IT!) that
> could (shareware).

The only problem being that Apple's licensing fees are very likely outside
the range of almost all shareware authors.

> GPL/OSS would be best of course but id rather have shareware then
> nothing in cases like this :) (well, i have nothing now as i refuse to
> reinstall win* to watch movies)

I know how you feel.  Sometime it's tempting to get another HD for this
computer just for Windows - that's where all the best computer games are.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein