Latin1 characters...

When writing in Vim in and an X session, I can type use the Alt (Meta)
key to get special characters into the text, such as »µ£ etc. However,
if I use VIM at the console, it interprets Alt-<key> behaviour much
differently. It can display such characters fine, I just can't type them
in. I'm not sure if this is a VIM specific thing, or a console thing.
I set my locale info to en_US, and the default console font to iso01.f16
I suspect it's a difference between X and console, but I must be missing
something in the configs on how to get the rest of those iso-latin1
chars.