StarOffice and /opt?

I recently got a copy of StarOffice from the cover CD from PCPlus Magazine. It
came as a .rpm file. I tried to use alien -i to install, but first I got loads
of errors as the .deb file was made, then it started to install in /opt. It
created this on my root partition, which is only 100M and about half full. Of
course, this failed. I simply removed the /opt directory, as this was not on my
system before I started. I am thinking of just putting another Harddrive in my
system and setting it up as /opt.

My question is, I've noticed that Debian often uses slightly different locations
from RedHat. Does Debian put StarOffice in another directory, or does StarOffice
expect to de in /opt, and should it stay there. I'm still new to Linux, and,
although I've had a good read of FHS documents, it is not very specific.
Shouldn't user programmes be installed in /usr?

Does the new Sun version of StarOffice meet Debians policy to be included in
contrib or non-free for distribution? I've got rather used to using dpkg to
install, and I quite like knowing that all dependencies are verified and the
menus are updated automatically. I still haven't tried apt yet. It didn't get
installed on my system due to some problems I had with the 2.1 boot images and
my SCSI motherboard.

Thanx for all the help.

Cheers,

     John Gay